What is emWave2?
For my Stress-Free Weight Loss Experiment, I decided to use Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting to manage my physical stress and an emWave2 to manage my mental stress. EmWave2 is a biofeedback device that helps you meditate. It uses heart rate variability to measure how stressed you are and plots it on your computer screen. In layman’s terms: when you’re in a completely calm/meditative state, it flashes green. However, once you start losing your focus, it starts to turn red! This feedback is very useful when you want to optimize your meditation sessions.
If you want more details about how it works, you can check it out on their website. At $175, it’s a pricey little device, but after a week of using it, I can say that it’s one of the best investments I have ever made! (I have spent thousands of $$ on medical tests and supplements, so that’s saying a lot ).
My general protocol is here:
- 5-10 minute session upon waking/completing work
- Random sessions throughout the day, based on stressful events
- 5-10 minute session before bed
I decided to use an emWave2 for the following reasons:
- I have difficulty meditating. Ever tried meditating but just can’t sit still? Are you one of those people that have a billion thoughts racing through your head at all times? That’s me! I’m a natural type A, constantly worrying and stressing. While it can be a good thing at times (I do very well academically, I’m a good problem solver), the stress is a HUGE drawback. Since the emWave2 gives me constant feedback on my meditation sessions, I can figure out what works and what doesn’t. Revelations so far? Positive thinking really helps! You couldn’t imagine the impact of mentally repeating “Today will be a great day” on your mood.
- I’m data-oriented. It’s difficult to reach goals that aren’t quantifiable. After all, anyone can meditate – but how do you know that your sessions are effective? I don’t want to waste time with ineffective meditation – after all, that time could be spent working out, hanging out with friends, etc. The emWave2 gets rid of this problem! Now, I know exactly how good each meditation session is, and can adjust my protocols accordingly.
Has the emWave2 made a difference?
Hell yes! I’ve only used it for 5 days, but here are some differences I noticed:
- Better coping mechanisms (and eating habits). Earlier in the week, I upset my friend by accidentally missing our dinner arrangement. Understandably, she was pretty upset. While the situation would’ve normally caused me to stress and binge eat, using the emWave2 made it easy for me to get my emotions under control and make up with her.
- Increased confidence. I developed low self esteem once I was bullied for being overweight as a child (my weight loss journey here). Even though I’ve lost most of the weight, I’m still slightly afraid that people won’t like me. This underlying source of stress has made it difficult for me to fully engage with my peers and coworkers. Not anymore with the emWave2! Since I’m more relaxed, I don’t stress about social interactions as much.
- Happier in general! There’s definitely a compounding effect here (for example, less stress –> happiness –> less stress) but I have to say that the emWave2 has done wonders for my mood.
We’ll have to see how the emWave2 impacts my weight loss. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen much progress on the scale lately, but I still think it’s an excellent device. If anything, it helps me cope with the disappointment from weight loss plateaus!
- Stress-Free Weight Loss Experiment: Overview (thehealthysolution.wordpress.com)
- Stress-Free Weight Loss Experiment: Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting (thehealthysolution.wordpress.com)